Monday, February 09, 2009

Facing Autism's Premio Dardos Award Nominations

The Dardos Award is given for recognition of cultural, ethical, literary, and personal values transmitted in the form of creative and original writing. These stamps were created with the intention of promoting fraternization between bloggers, a way of showing affection and gratitude for work that adds value to the Web.


Facing Autism in New Brunswick received a Dardos Award nomination from Chrissy who authors the Spectrum Hope blog. At Spectrum Hope, a blog which I follow, Chrissy shares her autism experiences as the mother of an autistic child. I am pleased to accept a Premio Dardos Award from Chrissy.

A condition of accepting a Premio Dardos award is that I must now nominate five other blogs for the award and inform the authors of those blogs that I have done so. I now nominate five other blogs:

Charles LeBlanc's Other Blog

This blog is about, well it's about Charles LeBlanc ... and about life, politics and investigative blogging in New Brunswick. I have to nominate Charles. If I did not I would never hear the end of it. If you visit Charles LeBlanc's Other Blog you will be treated to many excellent photos and to Charles' "interesting" theories about "fascism"and various other political subjects that are uniquely "Charles". If you do visit keep in mind that he receives hundreds of visits a day from politicians and members of the New Brunswick civil service. I have seen the Statscounter proof of that fact in the form of recorded visits from the Province of New Brunswick server.

Nature Tales and Camera Trails Photo Adventures in New Brunswick Canada


This blog offers, as the title indicates, excellent photos of the beauty that is New Brunswick. The pictures are also accompanied by well written, informative narratives. I highly recommend this site for anyone interested in the beauty of nature in different parts of the world.

Autism's Gadfly We don't need no stinkin' neurodiversity


Autism's Gadfly should be a must read for anyone interested in understanding all perspectives in the always intense world of autism discussion and debate. The blog's author, Jonathan Mitchell, as the title indicates, is a person with autism who does not subscribe to the anti-treatment ideology of the Neurodiversity movement. That is an important reason why I find Jonathan's blog interesting but it is not the only one. Jonathan and I disagree on many autism issues but I always find his blog comments interesting, challenging, well thought out and well researched. He also displays real character on his blog, acknowledging when he has erred or overstated his position. Autism's Gadfly should be on everyone's autism reading list, In My Always Humble Opinion.

Autism Research Blog: Translating Autism

Translating Autism is authored by Nestor L. Lopez-Duran Ph.D. a clinical child psychologist and neuroscience researcher. Nestor "translates" into language that can be understood by ordinary schmucks like me the latest scientific findings related to the nature, causes, & treatments of autism spectrum disorders. There are no obvious hints of the ideological intensity that slants so many autism discussions. I find Nestor's blog to be a valuable resource for obtaining a balanced, objective understanding of autism related research.

Crux of the Matter A Weblog About Education, Disability & Canadian Politics.

Crux of the Matter is written by Sandy. In fact it is very well written. Sandy writes on education, disabilities and Canadian Politics from a ..... conservative perspective. I tend to do the same thing from a .... liberal perspective. Not surprisingly, we disagree on a number of important issues but there is no disputing the quality of Sandy's blog which is well informed, well written and very civil in its tone. As someone who is not shy about expressing his opinion I actually value contrary opinions even if I am not persuaded by them. Sometimes I change my mind but even when I do not it is helpful to examine contrary views and test my own opinions against what they have to offer. Sandy's blog is an excellent resource for testing my views against a different and well informed perspective.

I have nominated these five blogs because I truly believe that they add value to the Web; even in Charles' case ;-)




Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Claire said...

Congratulations Harold...you truly deserve it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Harold. I put up a post with five more nominations here:
http://crux-of-the-matter.com/2009/02/09/premio-dardos-award-nominations/